Prospectus and Call for Entries
The nude has been a part of human artwork as long as there have been humans. Because of our society’s views on nudity, rarely do people have an opportunity to view well-done artistic nude photos. We are out to change that in our part of the world.
Photographers in New Mexico can enter the show. If you are outside of this area and wish to submit images, please contact Kenneth (ingham (at) keninghamphoto.com or 505-480-7621). You must have some tie to the area to enter.
The show will hang at the Artistic Image Gallery, 1101 Cardenas Dr. NE, Suite 103 Albuquerque, NM 87110, (505) 554-2706.
We have at least two awards:
- The Artistic Image will give a 4-hour studio rental.
- The Artistic Image will give a free 16×20 print.
The awards will be distributed based on jurying scores in order of value (i.e., the most valuable award is for the top scoring image. The second most valuable award is for the second image, etc.)
|Date and time||Event|
|Midnight, January 22, 2018||Image submission deadline|
|Midnight, January 29, 2018||Jury response deadline|
|January 31, 2018||Email about accepted images sent|
|Midnight, February 19, 2018||Data entry for accepted images|
|17:00 March 9, 2018||Deliver images to The Artistic Image Gallery|
|16:00 to 20:00 March 10, 2018||Opening reception|
|18:00 March 22, 2018||Show ends; pick up images anytime after this that the gallery is open.|
|16:30 March 29, 2018||Images still at the gallery might be disposed of (i.e., pick them up before this!).|
- The show is about artistic nudes. These images investigate the interaction of light and shape. Composition and aesthetics feature prominently in the images. The focus is not on the person or sexuality, although these topics can still be a part of the resulting image. A Google image search for “artistic nude” shows lots of examples. The Celebrate the Body competition entries include many examples of artistic nudes, although that competition also includes boudoir.
- Images can be color, monochrome, or any other process.
- The image must have started with a photograph of a mostly or completely unclothed human adult. Post-processing is allowed.
- Images can show males, females, or both.
- Images can be from any time; there is no requirement that they be recent.
- Models must be at least 18 years old at the time of the photography. Model(s) must have signed a model release. By entering, you acknowledge that you have proof of the model’s age and a signed release. You will deliver copies of these with any accepted images.
- Images should be artistic and not pornographic. Obviously, a large gray area exists between these two. Bob Laetare or Tim Anderson will make the call. If you are unsure, please talk to them or Kenneth ahead of time.
- Images need to show respect for the model(s). In particular, a model in a submissive pose might be rejected by Bob or Tim.
Image submission for jurying:
- You must hold the copyright on the image to enter it.
- Do not put watermarks, logos, etc on the image. This is to keep the jurying process as anonymous as possible.
- Submit JPEG images that are 1920 pixels on the long side and under 10MB.
- Submit up to five images.
- Submit images by midnight MST, January 15, 2018. If you are having a problem meeting this deadline, please contact Kenneth.
- Submit using this link. The username is submit and the password is UQX8uQdk
- We might use images accepted for the show for promotion and publicity of this show and/or the next show as well. We will always credit your images, and we will not use them in any way other than as described in this call for entries.
- The $25.00 (cash or check) or plus processing fees for credit card or PayPal ($26.03) entry fee covers the gallery rental, cost of the reception, etc. Remember, you keep the whole sale price of your artwork if it sells.
- The fee is independent of how many images you submit (up to the max of five images).
- Pay the fee to Kenneth Ingham by the image submission deadline.
Jurying will be cooperative. Everybody who enters photos will receive a link with all of the submitted photos and will rate all the photos. Jurying will be completed by midnight MST, January 29, 2018. We will announce the results shortly thereafter. A few additional non-photographer jurists will comment on the images to increase the diversity of the responses.
We will be accepting approximately 24 images for the show.
Image data entry
Plan for entering online the following information to accompany your print. You will receive the link to the online form shortly after the deadline for image submission.
- Image title
- Copyright information, including your name (a pseudonym is OK)
- Image size (width x height, in inches)
- Printing process
- Limited edition information, if any
- Unless the model has specifically requested it, provide the model’s working name (not necessarily his or her real name)
- Any hair and make-up artists
- Selling price or NFS (not for sale)
- Optionally, other information about the image, limited to about two sentences.
- Optionally, your contact information such as email, web, phone, etc
Image preparation for the show:
- We are flexible about presentation, so if you want to deviate from these guidelines, please talk with Bob Laetare or Tim Anderson who run the gallery. The primary goal is that the presentation should complement the image.
- Images accepted for the show must be printed and mounted to the standards for the gallery.
- Framing is optional, but the images must be able to be hung.
- Mat is optional, but does tend to enhance the image.
- Flush-mounted images are also acceptable, as are canvas images and other printing processes that will hang.
- Frames, if any, should be simple. No plastic frames, and no $5.00 metal frames; your artwork is better than that.
- Minimum image size is 10in on the long side. Please be sure that your image will print well at this size before submitting it for consideration
- Maximum image size including mat and frame is 24x36in.
- Images that vary substantially from what was submitted for jurying might not be shown.
- Images are for sale unless you indicate otherwise (by NFS) in the data entry form. You keep the whole sale price; we are renting the gallery space.
- You are responsible for getting the images to and from the gallery.
- Bob has offered a 20% discount on printing for the show that is done at The Artistic Image.
- With your image, bring a printed copy of the model release and proof of the model’s age. This information will not be shown, but will be stored for the duration for the show. If you have any questions, ask Bob Laetare or Tim Anderson.
- Questions about image insurance should be directed to Bob Laetare or Tim Anderson at The Artistic Image.